Saturday, July 19, 2014

We Made it !!!

We made it!!!!  Ten days of straight training and now we are experts in St. George History.  (Ha Ha)
It brought back memories of cramming for finals and knowing, if you're lucky you will get a "C".  But both Bruce and I have a new found admiration for these pioneers who were sent to the Cotton Mission.  In one account Whilimena (Willie) Cannon writes, "We entered the "Lifeless Valley of the Virgin" with not one tree, bush, or bloom.  My heart sank."  And believe me looking at the early pictures there was not one tree, bush or bloom.  What these saints sacrificed is unfathomable.  Their food supply was meager, at best and they did not have cold clear water until 1904 when a pipe was installed running from Pine Valley to St. George.  More than 50 years of harsh conditions-I couldn't have done it.  (I know, I'm HIGH MAINTENANCE)

Bruce and I drove up to Pine Valley and took a tour of the Pine Valley Ward.  There are 80 permanent members but on any given Sunday they can have upwards of 600-700 members attending.  It is the oldest continually running chapel in the church.  It holds a special place in Elder Hollands heart as his Grandmother lived there and he spent many days visiting as a boy. Elder Holland rededicated this building after an extensive remodel in 2005.  It's amazing and if you visit, be sure to attend services.  You may be sitting on the lawn or down in the basement but if you're lucky you will be upstairs. (Not me----sooooooo claustrophobic)


Well, everyone we talk too asks "How Are You Doing?"  We are great!  Bruce had the most fun in the Visitor Center on Friday.  He had a family of Baptists come through who he gave almost all the "Preach My Gospel" lessons.  (they took a Book of Mormon-yea that was his first)  The Sr. Elders hang out in what is called the "Annex" or "Man Cave."  The Sr. Sisters work in the front of the Visitor Center.  All the young sisters rotate between the front of the VC, the back of the VC then the Sr Elders in the Annex.  This is so we can meet all the visitors who enter the temple grounds.  Now this may sound like over kill, however, you cannot imagine the number of visitors who come through.  We had a bus of Slovenian tourists on Friday who were wonderful.  There were 20 of them and they just kept saying, "What is this feeling we have here?"  The sisters could not hand out Book of Mormons and referral cards fast enough (BTW the books were in Slovenian).  They were so excited (both the visitors and the sisters).  After the bus left the sisters were shouting "we love being a Visitor Center missionary."  It was like watching a Slovenian fire drill. (TA HEE HEE)  I have to admit, the excitement is catching. 

I have to give a shout out to all the Sister Missionaries at the VC.  They are fantastic, darling, spiritual and enthusiastic.  They run around like little bunnies, so anxious to share the message of the gospel, but you would be so impressed with their knowledge and testimonies.  We have 24 sisters and only 9 are from the states.  The rest from as far away as South Africa, Australia, Tahiti, South America, Germany and Canada.  I have pictures of a few, I tried to gather them all together to snap one picture but gave up.  They never sit still, so willing to work.  Here are a few pics of our cuties.


I'm starving, its time to close and get something to eat, plus get to bed.  We have about a 12 hour day tomorrow.  Sundays are challenging.  We need to get to church, plus we have a 7 hour shift at the BY home, but so glad I don't have time to think about being away from all of you.  You are missed more than you can know.  We love you,

Bruce and Dawna
(Elder and Sister, still not used to this)

PS  Happy Birthday to our wonderful, beautiful, talented, smart daughter, Kristi.  Sure wish we could be together to share a piece of cake.

4 comments:

  1. I am Sister Hokanson's mom and Tyler Richey is in our ward in Washington. He forwarded this blog to me. I can't thank you enough for the photos and stories of your time at the VC. We so look forward to Mondays and our daughter's email. Give her a hug from us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh My!! What a small world. We love these sisters and are so blessed to be able to work with them. I will absolutely give her a big hug from her mom. We will also watch out for these darling sisters with great care. Thank you for sharing her with the St. George Mission. Sister Borchert

      Delete
  2. I have to redeem my self after Kati made me out to be Facebook illiterate. I know enough about Facebook to be dangerous. I explained this to our darling directors, Elder and Sister Watkins, but as it turns out I know more than the other Sr. Couples, hence, I will be updating the St George Facebook page as soon as they get the email address and password from SLC. "On The Job Training!!!" So there Kati:-))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mom...you are way, way better than Kristi, Becky or Jodi for sure. They can't even log on! AND I am giving you huge props for being willing and ABLE to do anything. It was just a really funny...I'm excited for your updates :)

      Delete